“Ayumi Yu, Cloud Artisan”
Senior Software Engineer @ CoderPad
2019-01 – 2021-10
CoderPad is a live programming environment for interviewing programmers. It is fully featured and includes autocomplete, multi-file editing and databases. Customers during my time included Facebook, Dropbox, Jane Street and Twitch.
- Created the Overage Billing system to allow flexible service usage. After 2 years, this system did $500K/year in revenue.
- Led a migration of search provider from external Algolia to in-house Postgres search, saving $25K/year and simplifying the codebase.
- Architected and led the upgrade from single file editing to multiple files, which required systemic changes of legacy code.
- Added LSP (Language Server Protocol) services for code diagnostics and autocomplete, replacing disparate language servers.
- Worked on every part:
- Web Frontend – Rails, React (with Redux), Firebase, WebSockets.
- Code Execution and Intelligence Services – Node, Docker, WebSockets, Kubernetes.
- Ops – Google Cloud (Google Kubernetes Engine); Ansible.
Senior Software Engineer @ Brave Software
2016-08 – 2018-04
Brave is a web browser company which protects people’s privacy and security on the Internet. Brave also helps publishers make money with privacy-preserving ads and contribution system.
- Created and managed Brave Rewards for Creators, a frontend for web creators to get paid via the Brave Browser BAT ecosystem.
- During my time Creators was used by 10,000+ publishers. As of September 2020 there were over 800,000.
- Co-created end-to-end encrypted browser data sync library brave/sync.
- Worked on a cross platform web browser written in Muon (a fork of Electron) and React.
Senior Software Engineer @ Entelo
2014-02 – 2016-07
Entelo makes a professional people search engine and other recruiting tools. During my time there, company revenue was $100Ms ARR.
- Worked on core search engine: data acquisition, processing, indexing and frontend.
- Created Entelo Track, an email service which instruments email engagement.
- Created an API integrations framework for applicant tracking systems.
- Tech: Elasticsearch, Docker, Ruby, RDBMS (5+ TB), AWS
Software Engineer @ Leap Motion
2012-10 – 2013-04
Leap Motion is a computer hardware sensor which tracks hands and fingers in 3D space.
- Worked on web infrastructure supporting the sensor: Web backend, app curation tools, and the web shop.
- Apps served over 1M+ users.
Software Engineer @ Expensify
2011-02 – 2011-11
Expensify makes nice expense reporting software.
- Created “SmartScan” receipt data capture and OCR system.
- Created HTML5 canvas image editor.
- Co-author @ Quantitative estimation of activity and quality for collections of 2013 functional genetic elements, Nature Methods 10, 347–353 (2013)
- DanceDanceRevolution player (2018-)
- Top 0.1% North America @ League of Legends (2013)
- BA, Molecular and Cell Biology @ UC Berkeley (2010)
- Founder @ elecTONIC, UC Berkeley electronic music student org (2008)